Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access to IIS using IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyCronin

Programmer
Jul 16, 2001
GB
Hello,

I am running IIS on my desktop machine and can access 127.0.0.1 and localhost fine. I have a static IP assigned to my machine also and cant access my local PC through browser. I can ping successfully though.

The reason for all this is that I need to be able to allow other PC's to access my local web server.

In IIS I have Directory Security set up to allow anonymous access useing local IUSR account and Integrated Windows authentication checked. I have messed around with these settings without success so far.

Any help appreciated.

127.0.0.1 means 'localhost' it self, but to open your site from the other PC's in your Group, you must could access your site locally using your LAN IP address or your PC name.

In Properties, Directory security tab > Anonymous Access and Authentication control has the user name box been set as IUSR_YOUR PC NAME? (eg : IUSR_THOMAS, IUSR_ALPHA etc). if not you must re-located it. Use browse to re-locate.

Dont forget the basic (Web Site Tab) to open port 80 and set the IP address as All Unnissigned.

Once you can access it locally using the Static LAN IP address, then you not only can access it from any other PC's in your local group but you also can do a testing to access it directly from internet. Check your WAN IP (Not your static LAN IP), then type it in your browser, if it works, then your friends in the whole world can open it too (as long as you open the IIS ofcourse)

ddot02
I am having the same problem. I can access my site through my router assigned ip address but cannot access it through the internet. I used the ip address that my isp assigned my router. Is this the WAN IP Address you speak? I also set my routers port forwarding feature to point to my servers ip on port 80. Is there any other suggestions you might have for me to publish to the internet. You also said open IIS. What do u mean by that.

sorry for the confusing post. It's been a long day. Please see this post for a better picture of what I mean.
thread41-778517 Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back