Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access to home folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmkman

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2005
US
We are using Server 2008 Standard with users home directory mapped in their profile as their "S" drive and \\Fileserver\Profiles$\%username% in their profile settings for that drive.
This is working on most of the computers in our schools lab but not with all and is becoming quite annoying. When this doesn't work, the users can see the "S" drive but have no access to it and get the error:
S:\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer,........................ When the user logs onto another computer, they get their drive and have access to it. I have made sure that the system has all the updates. We have Windows 7 Pro clients. If you have any ideas or need more information, please let me know.
thank you

Sounds like a permissions issue.

You might try re-establishing the drive mapping with a login script. The other thing I notice is that you make mention of the "S" drive, but you're not referencing the S: drive in your profile, you're referencing the UNC (\\FileServer\Profile$\%username%

Additionally, using Profile$ makes me think that that is an administrative share, not a normal share.

Just my thoughts....

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back