Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access to devices at physical level 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingis

Programmer
Jan 23, 2002
LT
Hi all.

I wonder how could be disk/flash drives accessed dirrectly, not using logical drive letters C:, D:, K:, etc. There should be some interface points for read/write access dirrectly in device drivers. For example, WinHex from X-Ways has such a possibility at menu option Tools/Open Disk. Upper part of the list of possible disks consists of ordinary logical driver letters, lover part - of device names of physical media.
Where should I start to dig to find out how to do it? In MSDN I didn't reach any success.

BTW, the problem actually is, that we have obtain possibility to split flash key drives into several partitions like hard disks do, but only one partition per key could be mounted to a logical disk drive letter.

Thank you.

Try the cygwin site. They seem to access the drives as /cygdrive/c etc.

Well spinning disks can be accessed at the physical level (permissions permitting) using createFile
Scroll down to "Physical Disks and Volumes".

As for low level access to say flash cards, I've no idea at the moment.
Perhaps

--
If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.

It is nice, when somebody has patience to read articles till the end...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back