Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access + T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jassrs

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
US
I hope I am in the right area.
One of our VP's just bought an application without consulting the IT department. It is an MS Access program that was installed at a remote sight. I heard of issues of Access having a tough time working across a T1 line. Is this true? Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks in advance....

If your line drops you run into an issue of corupting data. Thats the only thing I know of or experienced. If it's any help we use Citrix for remote connectivity to our databases (MS Access).

I've found that if the access database is using a Security Manager database (MDW file) for logins/passwords/permissions and it's open when the link goes down you have to go in and reset where the MDW file is.

For example:

User is in the database working away, the apps security database is stored on the server with the back end for the app.

The link goes down (we have this happen often with questionable Ethernet and Coax links)

When the link comes back up and the user goes back into the access app it throws an error saying they dont have access anymore (In access 2003)

In previous versions it says that a feature is broken and needs to be repaired, thats b/c it can't find System.mdw.

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288
SprintPCS ReadyLink? IM ME

Thanks for the replies.... We decided to use Terminal Services which works fine..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back