Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Sub Fields in a Field -- HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vem786

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
US
Hi All:
I have a table that has a field named "Media". It has sub fields -- CD, Floppy, Hardware & Software. I have the data given to me in spreadsheet & the fields given like below.
----------------------------------
Media
CD | Floppy | Hardware | Software

How do I import this into an Access table with the EXACT STRUCTURE.?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi

I am not sure I understand your question, or the structure of your data

My interpretation of what you are saying is that you have one field or column (Media) which can have several possible VALUES (ie CD, Floppy, etc)

If this is so I would suggest you table structure should include a table of media types, this would be a single column table to hold the possibel values "CD", "Floppy" ..etc

Or are you sying that one row of you table can have more than one possibel media?. In this case DO NOT have sub fields as you call them, you need a a separate table of ItemMediaTypes structured something like:

lngItemId )Prime Key
strMediaType )

and a table of media types

strMediaType ) Prime Key

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Hi Ken:
Yeah exactly one row has more than several possibe media.

So as you said, I'll design a seperate table called media types with a single column right???

Thanks!!!

If you only have a maximum of one item in each of the four fields you could just declare a table with four data fields per key. Most likely however you will have eg CD as a single value (eg yes/no) and software as multi-valued. In this case put the CD in the PC table and software in a separate table with a foriegn key of the PC table key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back