Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Slow when loading rom a shortcut

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitmite

Programmer
Dec 2, 2003
CA
I have a head scratcher here. when I load an Access database from a shortcut to that database navigating throught Access ie. selecting a query or a table it takes forever! if I load the db buy opening Access then going to file-> open the navigation performance is perfect. Does anyone have any idea. it semms to appen to all db's I have even if they are local or on a network. It just seem to be the navigation of access itself not the actual running of the queries.

Brought to you By Nedaineum
The Portal to Geek-tum

Sometimes I use a shortcut for access that specifies Access a command line switch to open a particular workgroup and sometimes a database.

If I copy that shortcut to the network and then to another machine it will often keep a relative path to my machine name, in effect trying to run access from my machine over the network. I have done this in years but have to wonder if that is what is going on here.

Try right clicking the shortcut, select properties and look and see if the shortcut makes sense.

the shortcut just have the path to the access file itself nothing else.

thought of that to but nope.

Brought to you By Nedaineum
The Portal to Geek-tum

The only other thought I have is one way is using a UNC and the other a Mapped drive?

That is the only other way I would expect a difference...

In the immediate window <CTRL + G> you could try ...

Code:
? currentproject.FullName

That will show you the full path and file name. Maybe it is different from the 2 ways?

If that is not it, I can't think of anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back