Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access says a table is open so I can't change any data! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andegre

MIS
Oct 20, 2005
US
I get 'Run-time error '3008':
THe table 'Login' is already opened exclusively by another user, or it is already open through the user interface and cannot be manipulated programmatically.'

I don't see anywhere that would indicate that the table, or update query that calls the table, is open. Anyone know why this is and how to fix it?

Thanks

Hi andegre...

If this is not a multi-user database, I would suggest, depending on which version of Access you have, and looking up the Advance Tab under Tools>>>Options to see if you have the database set to Open Exclusively.

Hope this helps...

VhbuiA...it still says that it is open by another user or...

Any other ideas?

The problem occurs on a ChangePassword form where an update query is called to change the user's password.

Ok, wow, I just tried running through it again but stepping through all the lines of code. This time it went through ok, so I took out the red button to stop the program to allow the user to step through, and tried it again right after it worked doing the step through, and then error came back again.

I am completely stumped now...

Is by chance the ChangePassword form bound to the Login table ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

The forms Record Source is bound to the Login Table, but all the controls on the form are not. Should I get rid of the forms 'Record Source'?

If NO control is bound to the form's RecordSource then, yes, get rid of it.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Code:

username = login_username.Value

If (DLookup("[Login_Password]", "Login", "[Login_ID] = " & username) = Me.oldpassword.Value) Then

Now, it gives me an error that says "You cancelled the previous operation"

If Login_ID is not defined as numeric in Login:
If DLookup("Login_Password", "Login", "Login_ID=[tt]'" & username & "'"[/tt]) = Me.oldpassword.Value Then

Hope This Helps, PH.

I guess it sounds kind of confusing but Login_ID is actually the users' name (ie Greg)

I set the username variable to the username textbox (login_username.value) and then use the 'username' in the dlookup function.

Can the dlookup function search for text, or can it only search for a number to get a corresponding value?

You are a geeeeeneeeeeuuuus. Thank you very much PHV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back