Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access RunTime 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fino

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2007
US
Question about Access Runtime

I have a 32-bit split database (XYZ.accdb and XYZ_be.accdb) running in Windows 10 with Office 365 32-bit.

I want to send my database to a friend so he can run the database in the event I am incapacitated. He would be running this on a standalone computer. He does not have Access.

If my friend installs Access Runtime 32-bit and I send him a saved copy of XYZ.accde and XYZ_be.accde, will that work?

I realize some things do not work but the forms, reports, and queries should be ok. He of course will not see the VBA code. But that is okay as he would be able to review and update the database if he needed to do so. I think!

You can test runtime behaviour by starting Access from commandline and using /runtime switch ("Access path" "file path" /runtime).

combo

Thanks, Combo.
However, I was told you cannot have the same version of the Runtime and Full Access installed on the same machine. Not sure if that is true but if it is, then I cannot test runtime on my machine with Full Access installed.

You do not need to have runtime installed. Starting full Access from command line with /runtime switch (+ database path) you get the runtime behaviour and can test the database in runtime environment.
BTW, why 'accde' for backend database and do you plan to keep F-B links?

combo

Thanks. I now get what you are saying regarding starting access with the /runtime switch.

As for the BE. The backend has all the tables with the data. I would be sending him both the front end and the backend and thought they both needed to be in .accde mode. Now that I think about it that is wrong. Only the front end needs to be .accde.

The tables would have to be relinked when he gets copies because I have no idea what folder he will be saving the two files (BE and FE). I have been watching some videos on this topic and it looks like I will have some code changes to do on Autoexe and References if he does not have Microsoft Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back