Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

hksr

MIS
Sep 26, 2003
HK
I have a windows 2000 server in my office, I usually backup the data every week., When the user create the folder themself, I have to add the administrator access right into that folder before I backup data. Otherwise I cannot backup. Is there any login account to backup ALL the data WITHOUT any extra work, eg change the ownership.

Make sure the Administrator is assigned Full Control to the root of the drive, this will cause the permissions to flow down to each of the directories and files.

The problem with this is if somewhere down the directory tree, the permissions are removed and new ones are reapplied which causes the lower level directories to stop inheriting the permissions. You need to find the lowest point in the tree where the permissions have been applied and reassign them accordingly. Then, just give the users Modify rights, rather than full control and they won't be able to override your permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back