Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Query Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooley

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
US
I have a Query that includes a field called "Check Date". I need to have criteria that tells the DB, only give me records that do not have any check dates greater than or equal to a specified date. I have tried using the MAX sort function with "<=(Date()- 120) or IsNull". The problem is that it continues to pull records to the results that have check dates after the specified date. We are using this to find inactivity in a database.

Take a look at the DateAdd function in help files.

Hope this helps,

Alex

A wise man once said
"The only thing normal about database guys is their tables".

I tried adding the "DateAdd" function within my query & it's not what I need. I have now tried writing a query with the "account type" & "% complete" criteria. Then I have created a query based on that query. Within this final query, I have placed my Max Ck Date field using the following formula:
Max Ck Dte: MAX([Inactivity Rpt Query]![Check Date])

Now I keep getting a message that says: "Cannot group on fields selected with '*'."

I have searched for this in the Help screens and nothing comes up. If I remove the above formula & just look at "Check Date", I do not get this message. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Could you share the SQL view of your query? Do you have the query properties set to display all fields?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

I do have the properties set to display all fields.
Here is the SQL view for the 1st query:

SELECT CUSTOMER.[Account Number], CUSTOMER.[Borrower Last Name], Disbursements.[LIP or Savings Account], Disbursements.[Check Date], Disbursements.[Amount Disbursed], CUSTOMER.[% Complete], CUSTOMER.Comments
FROM CUSTOMER RIGHT JOIN Disbursements ON CUSTOMER.[Account Number] = Disbursements.[Account Number]
WHERE (((Disbursements.[LIP or Savings Account])="lip" Or (Disbursements.[LIP or Savings Account])="savings") AND ((CUSTOMER.[% Complete])<100));

This is the SQL View for the query running off of the 1st query:

SELECT [Inactivity Rpt Query].[Account Number], [Inactivity Rpt Query].[Borrower Last Name], [Inactivity Rpt Query].[LIP or Savings Account], Max([Inactivity Rpt Query]![Check Date]) AS [Max Ck Dte], [Inactivity Rpt Query].[Amount Disbursed], [Inactivity Rpt Query].[% Complete], [Inactivity Rpt Query].Comments, *
FROM [Inactivity Rpt Query];

Hopefully you can see something that will solve my dilema. The logic seems so simple, but sometimes that can be the most difficult.

Thanks in advance [bigglasses]

You can't use "Max(...)" without specifying a GROUP BY. If you want to use Max(), you must change the query to a totals query and remove the display all fields.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions! I was finally able to get my expected results using 2 separate queries that then combined into a final query for the report to run on. This is the best site for ideas & help!
Happy Holidays to all!! [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back