Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access port pairs terminating on one switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpast

MIS
Sep 3, 2002
US
Hello all,

We have an IPS 4200 appliance connected via trunk to a core root switch, for which we’d like to create a pseudo-failover construction, whereby two switch access ports, each in assigned to different vlan, are connected to each other. Understanding PVST, and going through the reasoning of how ports are elected to go to Fwd or Blk state, my mind gets scrambled when a port on a switch connects to another port on the same switch. The concepts of root switch ports’ all being in Fwd state, combined with bpdus heading out all the ports, and only one DB being elected for a segment (e.g. one of the interconnected ports would be DB, the other Blocking, due to the ‘tie-breaker’ of port priority), all combine to confuse my feeble brain.

Can someone point me to a ‘best practices’ article, or some other guidance, to help me understand this better?

Thanks very much, in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back