Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Point or Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2001
US
I have a building with three floors. I plan on installing a wireless Dlink router on the first floor. On the second and third floors I had planned on installing access points and connect them back to my wireless router using cat 5 cable. Access points are so much more expensive than wireless routers which makes no sense. Is there anyway I can use wireless routers in place of access points? Any comments would be appreciated.

Nathan

Definitely, the second router would pick up the signal from the first and rebroadcast. All you have to do is configure the second router like another host computer. Setting the ip address and whatnot.

-Ron

/**************
Me: When will the project be finished?
Them: What project?
Me: The one you have been working on for the last 3 years!
Them: Ohh, we can't finish it?
Me: Why?
Them: We don't know how to program...

If you disable DHCP on a router, and connect using one of its regular LAN ports, you have created an Access point. Go from a regular LAN port of the first floor router to the uplink port on the router/AP on floor one. Use the Uplink port on the first floor router to go to a regular LAN port on the third floor router/AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back