Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access/Oracle DB linking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gawlowski

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2000
US
Hello,
In general, can Access be used to perform maintenance (record addition, updates, deletions, etc.) on an Oracle DB? [sig][/sig]

Yes. Matter of fact, I use it a lot to transfer data manually, i.e. cut and paste, from other sources into Oracle. You can also create forms and reports using Access as a front end to use with your Oracle database.

With both Access and Oracle client installed on your machine, you will need to run SQL EasyNet Config to create a link to your Oracle tables. You then create an entry in your Control Panel -> ODBC Data Sources tool. After that, Open a new Access database, and either link to an ODBC connected table.

It is really simple and very handy. Let me know if you need any other help.

[sig]<p>Terry M. Hoey<br><a href=mailto:th3856@txmail.sbc.com>th3856@txmail.sbc.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Ever notice that by the time that you realize that you ran a truncate script on the wrong instance, it is too late to stop it?[/sig]

Thank you very much, Terry. I will give it a try. Have a great day. Cynthia Gawlowski [sig][/sig]

Hello, I need to get a field from an oracle db for a form i have in access. I tried loading client 9I but it keeps getting to the point where it asks what type of installation and i have tried all 3 custom, client, admin and after it loads 33% it doesn't do anything else.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If i need to be in another forum let me know.
Thanks.
lewie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back