Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access of hidden databases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melee

Programmer
Jun 20, 2000
US
I am not a notes developer, but am resonably cognizant of the processes.

Problem: We have a Lotus database that was created by a VAB to IBM. The supplier no longer supports theis database. I am trying to retrieve the data in a usable format. So far nothing has worked well. Even getting the data into a lotus spread sheet would be ok. This database does not allow development of new views or forms, and it is hidden so that I cannot access it through designer. (the database is CPAS)

Tried: I have tried creating reports in the allowed format and exporting to a 1-2-3 format. This did not display the contents. I tried doing this also with the exiting views. I have been able to export the data in text format, but it needs extensive clean up.

Question: Is it possible to get around the hidden database problem to retrieve the data? or Can someone suggest an alternate approach?

Try a worksheet view of the data - that will show you the fields in a tabular format.

If you need to "export" summary fields, you will not succeed with a report view. You can however, copy and paste the contents of a crosstab view into a spreadsheet!

Let me know if you need more help with this problem!

Sue Sloan
XpertSS.com

Thanks for the suggestion, however ..... the set up of the databases we are trying to access have very limited accessability. The worksheet view is not available.

What I am attempting to do now is write a routine to pull specific fields from a massive word document -- (I have been able to retrieve the contents of one database into word). It comes out in one very long column. There are about 20 fields that I want to pull out. So, I'm thinking macro. I am open to any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back