Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access NTFS Partitions on same PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

da644

Programmer
May 21, 2001
GB
Hi Everyone.

I have a PC installed with Windows XP Pro and Redhat Linux 8. Whilst I'm using the Linux installation can I access my files on the NTFS partition and read and write them. I know that I can mount the partition using the mount command however I believe that this is only recommend for reading and not write as it can damage the file system. Is there another way to safety access the partition to read and write to and from the partition? Maybe using Samba or something?

Best Regards

Andrew.

To my knowledge, you are not able to access NTFS partitions from a Linux OS. However, i myself have not tried this. Accessing FAT32 partitions is possible, but not NTFS.

If you are using a dual-boot HDD, where both Redhat and XP are on the same HDD then i dont think it is possible to access the NTFS partition. To my knowledge, Samba only works over a network. So, i dont think there is any way you can access a NTFS partition from Linux, unless there is some way that i am not aware of.

You can access NTFS from Linux (here's the project's homepage:
This from the Linux-NTFS Project's homepage [The italics are mine. The boldface is theirs]:

3.4 Can the Driver write to an NTFS volume, too?

NO.

There are two drivers, currently. The original driver, in 2.4 has some write code in it, but it is extremely dangerous to use it. The possibility of destroying your filesystem is very high.

The new driver, introduced in 2.5.11, has no write code at all. This may sound like a backwards step, but it was necessary to rewrite the driver in order to make the future coding simpler and more solid.

Adding write support will take a long time. NTFS is built like a database. Any changes you make, necessitate making changes in many places, for consistancy. Make a mistake and the filesystem will be damaged, make too many mistakes and the filesystem will be destroyed. Also, the current developers are only working on NTFS as a hobby, during their free time. If you'd like to help, please email me: webmaster@flatcap.org.

Generally, the advice is to create a shared FAT32 patition and have both OSes R/W from/to that. ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

Just create a relatively small Fat32 partition. The fat32 partition will be your temporary transfer area. It only needs to be as big as whatever files you need for the other operating system.

From Linux, you can read the NTFS partiion. You can read & write to the Fat32 partition.

From Windows you can read & write to both Fat32 & NTFS partions.

smah, although it would work, but looks very odd & cumbersome.

yes, ntfs partition can be accessed from linux, but writing is not encouraged, since it can be dangerous. by default some distros will not allow ntfs access like Redhat 7.2, but Mandrake will.

incase if u dont have access to ntfs partition u will need to complie the ntfs module.
if u know how to compile a module well and good otherwise either search on google or else i am always there.

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the advise, I will create FAT32 partition as suggested.

Best Regards

Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back