Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access NT server fr home

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanKorn

Technical User
Mar 28, 2002
US
I would like to know if there is a way to gain remote access to an NT 4.0 file server from home via the web. Server is connected via DSL and my connection is via cable. We are currently using remote control software PC Anywhere) but this is cumbersome and leaves the system vulnerable. I would basically like to be able to go to the corporate website and select LOGIN button that would then authenticate and redirect me to the office server that is in the next town. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanx,stan

I'm not sure about the details of your setup, but I have a corp. server on DSL and Cable home connection and had the same issue (was using PCAnywhere). I ended up using VPN routers. I set up a router to router VPN between my home (and a couple other remote sites) and the corp. server. I then set up one of my home computers to connect to the server the same way it would in the office using the LMHOSTS file. It has worked great for me and was a very inexpensive solution. A couple of the remote sites were also on DSL and for some reason there are more often connectivity issues with them. They disconnect periodically and we have to reset their router, but I've no problems at all with mine over the cable connection.

Hope this helps.

install terminal server in admin mode to access the system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back