Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access not visible 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowan1

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
ES
I have three databases on my computer.
The first is the main, the second uses linked tables to the first and the 3rd is independant of the other two.
I was working on the first designing a report when the screen went blank. Now I can not access the 1st database because it opens on to a blank screen,but the second linked database can be opened and worked with. So can the 3rd. Can anybody suggest what has happened and any solutions?

Hi

What do you mean "Opens onto a blank screen" have you tried pressing F10 to open the database window, or does the system crash when you open the first database?

Have you tried running a compact and repair on the database?

John

John,

When I open the data base there is no dialog box. The toolbar is there and I can open the relationship window.I can also open the code dialogue box, which opens onto the last item I was working on before the problem happened. I tried F10 and compact and repair but to no avail. The data base is there but hiding the dialogue box.

Thanks

Dear Rowan1,

I have seen a similar problem.

The standard Compact and Repair utility built into access did not seem to fix.

You could try:
1) Creating a new Database and import everything from the db in question.

or

2) Try the Compact Jet utility. This is a utility from Microsoft that does a better job of repairing Damaged access databases.

Here is a link to my links page that will help you download this free utility.
My (helpful) links
Good Luck,
Hap [2thumbsup]

Access Developer [pc] Access based Add-on Solutions
Access Developer Forum
xx

Are you, in fact, pressing F10? How about F11? That's what reveals the Database Window. F10 just focuses the menu bar.

The database window is probably just off the screen because of a glitch. Go into the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.x\Access\Settings. Delete the settings Window Left, Window Top, Window Width, and Window Height. Then restart Access.

If that doesn't work then copy everything into a new database.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Thank you for your suggestions but nothing has worked so far. Have copied the original database to a Cd but have the same problem, I cannot copy individual items as I can not see them to select.Any further options to try would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rowan.

Is the facility available to open the database on another computer? If so, try it.

John

BTW, my registry advice was wrong, though it did no harm. I was confusing your problem with one in which the entire Access window opens off-screen.

Try this: Open your database, then choose Window|Cascade from the menu. If the Database Window has gotten outside the Access window somehow, that will bring it back.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Thanks to every one for their help and especially Rick Sprague for providing the solution with Window/Cascade.The answer always seems easy when you know it but the know-how is knowing where to look.

Thanks

Rowan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back