Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access multi-user differen on NT, Win 98 and Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

superspeed

Programmer
May 2, 2001
US
I have a multi-user application (Access 2000 latest service packs) with the data on a server (in this case, my Win 2000 computer) and the application on the Win 2000, NT and Win 98 machine. On Win 2000 everythinbg is fine. On my Win 98 and NT machines, if I ahve one screen (reservation) open, the other non-Win 2000 computer will not load the programs. here is the scenarios:

I have been using the performance graphs in NT and Windows 2000 to see what is happening. It is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Here is the scenario:

The first machine is an NT Server, the Second machine is a Windows 98, and the third machine is Windows 2000.

Scenario 1:

1. Open SAIS on one the first (NT Server) machine and pick reservations. The CPU Utilization on the server runs about 250%

2. Open SAIS on the second (Windows 96 Second release) machine. It no longer hangs like at used to and the Switchboard comes up.

3. Select Reservations on the second machine: the utilization drops to 0 to 3%!

4. Close reservations on the first machine. Utilization on the server goes to 25% and the reservation screen opens on the second machine.

5. Close the reservation screen on the second machine and reopen it: it comes up immediately.

6. With the reservations screen open on the first and second machines, open the SAIS and reservations on the third (Windows 2000) computer: it comes up immedietly.

Scenario 2:

1. Open SAIS on the second machine (Win 98) and pick reservations. Utilization runs about 25% and everything opens.

2. Open SAIS on the first (NT server) machine. The switchboard comes up immediately.

3. Open Reservations on the first machine. CUP utilization on the Win2000 (server) is near zero and Reservations does not open.

4. Close reservations on machine two, and the reservation screen on one comes up.

5. Close and reopen the reservation screen on one and two. They come up instantly.

6. Open SAIS and the reservation screen on the Windows 2000 computer and there is no problem.

TIA,

SuperSpeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back