Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Meter Usage DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBirkett

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
AU
Hey everyone,

I have a small project I would like to share with you all for some ideas...

Monthly, i'm receiving electricity usage meter totals along with the date the meters were read for a whole range of different meter numbers. ie.

Meter
ID
MeterNumber
MeterTotal
DateRead

The meter usage totals are recorded straight from the meters outside peoples houses, so as you probably have guessed, the data i receive each month is a progressive total.

The problem:
Generate a report each month that shows only the months usage.

Is there an easy way do this with a query? I am a programmer, and can think of a lot of different ways to do this using scripting, however i would like to know if this can be done with only SQL.

The problem looks simple at first, however if you look at it closely there are a couple of issues that need to be solved:

1. Subtracting the previous months meter reading from the current months to get the monthly total - can't seem to do with an sql statement.

2. Handling not having a previous month reading (ie, first readings ever)

3. Client could send 200 readings in month one, then expand their business and send 230 readings the next month. Therefore 200 of the meters will need a subtraction, however 30 of the meters will not.

4. Meter numbers could be reset to 0000000 (after they cycle through their lifetimes for example - which i'm told is not too worry about because the digits will last my lifetime).

My immediate thoughts on this problem is that the meter usage total is an example of storing a calculated field. Instead we should calculate the months total upon receiving the data and insert that into the database instead, however this will require programming effort.

Anybody have any ideas if this can be done with sql?

Brett Birkett B.Comp
Systems Analyst

I would suggest asking this in the SQL forum, this is more of a general database forum. I'm pretty sure you will find someone there who can help!

Good luck

Leslie
landrews@metrocourt.state.nm.us

There are 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary
and
those who don't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back