Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access mail very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

asiaexpat

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2005
TH
I ve been asked to help troubleshoot aq problem at a friends company and I have not gotten any details as to Notes version used etc--but the gist of the problem is that clients take like 8-seconds to open a simple mail. The network is 100MB, server is on local network, all other network functions and other servers work fine.--
Can anyone tell me what could possibly be wrong with the notes server??

Without knowing if the network performs correctly, if a router or switch is not the cause, if the server is correctly dimensioned for the number of users, if disk space is sufficient, or if there is enough RAM on the server, it is going to be hard to tell.
There could be plenty of things wrong with the server - either the OS or Domino, but until you eliminate network issues there is no guarantee that Domino is the problem.

Pascal.

A ping to the notes server from the affected client gives a normal response time considering the 100 mb network.
I dont have all the server details yet--but it is an IBM server ,dual processor, 1 gig of ram, and I assume plenty of diskspace--only about 30 total users. I am assuming now that it is a Domino issue--or possibly server config--some tweaking or parameters need to be set

This may not have anything to do with your problem, but did you try to delete the cache.ndk/dsk file. Our users here are always complaining about the speed, then I delete the Cache.ndk file (6.5.2) or Cache.dsk (5.0.11), and they report that Notes us much faster.

Also check the speed/duplex is forced to 100Mb Full Duplex on both server and switch as any difference/inconsistencies will cause slow access but normal pings.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back