Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Logon Security Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccessUser22

Technical User
Jan 23, 2003
US
Hello,

I have an issue with my Access front end databases. A little background. Workgroup security has been implemented. The front end client is an Access 2003 application that sits on the users machine. The user runs a batch file on their desktop to check for updates to the front end and then opens the file. The user temporarily links to the workgroup file when they run the batch. The front end is mapped to 2 different Access 2003 databases on the back end server.

My problem is that when some users try to log on to the machine, they are presented with the following error message:

"You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later."

This message pops up about 30 times and the user has to keep clicking through it. Once they are done clicking through it though, the database works fine. I do not get the message with Admin users, but I can't very well allow all these users to be part of the Admin user group.

Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this and has been able to solve the problem. Thanks.

Does the FE run any code at startup that reads or writes data/objects?

When the FE starts up I have it set so that they do not view the database window and a splashscreen form that's saved in the database displays on a timer. Once that form closes, the switchboard displays.

I think it has something to do with the links to the tables on the backend, but I can't quite figure out what the deal is.

What does the batch file look like?

My hunch is that the operating system has not released it's lock by the time it is trying to open the database.

I doubt it has anything to do with the backend.

I don't think there is a Sleep in batch files... You could try doing something like the following in your batch file between the copy and the opening of Access to create a brief pause.

Code:
c:
Dir *.*

I don't think it's the batch because if I directly try to access the database FE file on the user's machine, I get the same error. The batch is simply there to check for front end updates so the user doesn't have to manually do anything.

Is there code checking the linked tables when the FE is opening? Count the number of linked tables and then count the number of times you get the error message. Are the counts the same?

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

I get the message 32 times.

All the tables in the db are linked since it's a front end.

In total, I have 80 tables. 12 tables come from one database. The other 68 are from another database. So unfortunately I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the links at all at this point.

Any other ideas?

Sorry about the batch file thought... My thoughts disconnected from the FE/BE scenario.

Going witht the linked table scenario... Is it possible that your forms are hitting 32 tables when the system opens?

Another thought goes to cause...

Does the network security for the folder where the backend .MDB file lives have change or Read/Write/Delete permissions for all the users who have permission to the the file? It is must simpler if the file inherits permissions from the folder (a compact and repair creates a new file and forces permissions to inherit anyway).

Or maybe I to am missing something about the linked tables.

Is the workgroup you are logging on with that gives you the problem the same one that created and secured the backends?
If not, what steps (if any) did you take to ensure that it would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back