Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Locks and Network Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschock

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
I just went to an office where they have a Win98/XP peer-to-peer network. They have an access db on one of thier workstations and they all pull up that db on the other wks.

One of thier problems is that when one person is in the database, the others can't do any entry into the db. They get an permissions message.

They also want to take parts of the records, place them on laptops, edit/change the data, and then come back to the office and update the db. I have been out of doing dba stuff for a while, and most of my experience has been with a true network not this p-to-p stuff.

They have been told by others that they need to update to a real network, but they haven't seen any positives for doing so.

Any help here would be gretaly appreciated.
Thanks,
CS.

The answer is yes, you can do what you want to do.

Multi-user Access can be done. Importing data from copies of the mdb taken into the field on a laptop can be done. I've been doing both for 9 years; it can be done.

However, don't attempt it unless you've got an Access guru in your pocket, as it is a bit tricky.

As long as the access db isn't opened
exclusively multiple ppl should be able
to access it.

Transcend
[gorgeous]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back