Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access linked Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMan22

Technical User
Jun 24, 2001
CA
Currently we have an Access database full of client info. As it stands right now when a client applies for insurance we send them out the application and when they send it back we enter the information manually into our program. We've begun to devise it such that we can ask the questions over the phone so we're saving a step in the process.

Ultimately we want to have it though where the client can fill out the application questions online. For this to occur though two things need to happen.

1) when they log on with a unique userid it brings up their specific information (in other words, the website must be linked directly with our database). So when a user logs on it will say GoodMorning Mr. X. It will then have a bunch of fields (some of which may already be filled in - i.e. the guy's home address which we already have in our system). Is it possible to link an access database to do this?

2) When the user has entered his information it will send it directly to the database within the appropriate fields. Is this possible?

So those are the two points of contention that we must look at. Also, does anyone have any recomendations for website programs (i.e. frontpage, etc).

Thanks,
Ryan.

First off, I would consider seperating my live database from the one the user has access to. From experience, a pissed-off user might type in what he thinks of your momma in the address field and you don't want that junk in your database. You could use copied data from your live database to provide the user some feedback but store changes where you can edit them before making them permanent.

Otherwise, there is a jillian ways of doing this, in fact, Frontpage will do most of this for you. A+, N+, MCP

What you are wanting to do is pretty simple. Like Choctaw said Frontpage is a good source as well as Dreamweaver. If you have had any experience with VBA or VB you should have no problem using vbscript of javascript in your asp pages.

I have a question for you guys then...

How do you make buttons in FrontPage that when you hover over them (or click on them) they open a subset of choices. Kind of like the programs window that appears when you press 'start' in the bottom left corner of your windows desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back