Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Keys in menus 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauricebaker

Programmer
Jan 2, 2005
GB
I am running Visual Basic 6 under the Windows XP Professional OS with Service Pack 2. When Access Keys for menus are created using the Menu Editor, the letter after the ampersand in the Caption is shown underlined in the Top Line of the Menu on the Form, but not in the submenu Captions. At Run Time no letters are underlined initially, but once the Alt key is pressed the underlined characters appear at the top of the menu and in all the submenus. When the Alt key is again pressed the underlined characters again disapear. Pressing the Alt key toggles the underlined letters.

Although I have knowledge of Fortran and Assembler and Quick Basic, I am just starting to learn Visual Basic 6. I feel that the way the Access Key mechanism is operating is not correct, but, of course I am not certain. Is there a reason for this behaviour, and what can be done to correct it?

Under XP, the mode of operation that you describe is correct.

To change it:

Control Panel/Display/Appearance/Effects and untick the 'Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation until I press the Alt key' option

It also works that way on my Win2k-pro machine. Hit alt key to make them appear.

Chip H.

I got the same problem after trying the menu tutorial on Learn Visual Basic 6.0 now but ok its not that bad.;)

sign05.GIF
sign05.GIF
sign05.GIF
Uprocker2
sign06.gif
sign06.gif
sign06.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back