Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access is bypassing our workgroup log-in... HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirnavi

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
US
We run NT 4.0. MS Office is installed locally on everyone's machines. Everyone in my department has had their workgroup changed to a departmental workgroup and have various rights associated with their IDs. The generic ADMIN log-in has been stripped of all rights.

This has worked perfectly up until this morning. For some reason, everyone is still pointed to the department workgroup but when you open Access, it bypasses the log-in screen and opens up the db. According to FMS Admin, the users are all logged in as ADMIN and now cannot do anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything - things that could have gone wrong, things that the IT department could have done to screw this up, workarounds (besides giving the ADMIN id full rights)?

Thanks.
Susan

Why don't you give the ADMIN group full rights ... Just kidding

have you recently run a compact and repair?
is there more than one workgroup on your server and can you redirect everyone to this?
Has there been any activity with the workgroup file that might have interferred with it(e.g. someone changing it)?

It should not just remove all the groups.

One more question can you still get in and add users and groups and change permissions etc or are you locked out of this as well.

Booiinnggg ... Zebbeddee ... Booiinnggg

I would give the ADMIN id full rights, just so everyone can work... if I could. Since the ADMIN id has been stripped of all its rights, and I'm logging in as ADMIN, I can't change/add/delete anyone or their rights.

No, there's been no compact and repair. I talked to Network Services and they say nothing has been done to the network overnight. I looked again at a couple of the other databases in FMS Admin and it looks like some people were able to sign in this morning. Everyone in the department is still connected to the department workgroup and I just cannot figure out why Access is bypassing it.

And they've fired everyone else in the building who had a brain and may have been of some help. grr.

For anyone interested - my workaround was to move everyone's system.mdw out of the system32 folder. Then it seemed to know to look for the workgroup it was actually linked to. Still don't know why though.

You're supposed to leave the default system.MDW workgroup alone and create a custom-built MDW that you use via the command-line parameter "/wrkgrp". This way you don't have to deal with changes that come when they probably installed a service pack the other day.

I think this might be your root problem.

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back