Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access - How Do I

Status
Not open for further replies.

rephlex

Technical User
Aug 15, 2001
GB
Hi, I am after ideas on the best way to accomplish the following-

I have an existing database (lets call it dbA)that is updated regularly and is controlled by head office (hence I can make no ammendments to it) what I wish to do is develop this database into something more useable for my office. I wish to incorporate all of the data (and probably structure) into the new db but with additional fields and retain the ability to update the new db from the head office one as and when it changes.

Here comes the rub - I thought about importing the tables from dbA then adding the additional fields as required but then every time I re-import the tables from dbA my new fields (and more importantly data) will be lost. Then I thought why not link to dbA - but if I do that I cannot change the tables (add fields etc) without modifying the orig dbA

So any ideas on methods to accomplish this??

I hope (but doubt) that I have been clear in my needs - no doubt clarity will emerge as (hopefully) this discussion develops

It may be obvious that I am no Access expert - but I am a quick learner :eek:)

all help much appreciated
Rephlex

Hi!

It seems to me that it would be most effective to link to dbA and make new tables in your db as required. You can put what fields you need together for forms and reports by using queries.

hth
Jeff Bridgham

yes, create the tables with the info you need in your database, and then link to the company database to get their info.

example

their table:
EmployeeID
Employeename

your table:
EmployeeID
EmployeeAdress

Combining tables is what databasing is all about. If you're going to be working on the database a lot, I strongly suggest taking a database design class.

Dumb question time - how do I populate myTable with EmployeeID from the linked theirTable

(and yes I am going to book some training!!!)

Hi!

Make a query which pulls only the information you need from one of the liked tables, in this case EmployeeID. Then make the query a Make Table query. To do that, there is a drop down arrow right next to the ! which will run the query. This a drop down for query type and one of the choices is Make Table.

hth
Jeff Bridgham

You could also try to create an append query that will append your db whenever you need it. You can run a macro that will append the table at a certain time.

jsncat

Heh, I love dumb questions. It took me a moment to realize that I've never made a "Make Table Query", so I just tried it a moment ago.

It's the only way to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back