Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access --> Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanz

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2001
GB
Hi all, hope you can help!

This is split in to a couple of questions.

1. I have a normal run of the mill access database what I need to be able to do is enable the users to select what criteria they want to search on and then enter that criteria.

2. Relating to above. Once the user has "filtered" the data on the criteria they selected I want to enable them to import the data on to a word template so I can automate the mail merge function. I would also like to be able to do this for emails so the user selects/enters the criteria and emails all the contacts in the resulting data.

Anyone shed any light?

OK, I need a bit of clarification.

Do you want to allow your users to choose which fields they want to see AND what data within those fields, or do you just want them to be able to set the criteria for certain, pre-defined fields?
Kathryn

Yes i want the user to choose which fields and the data they want query on.

Eg. one user might want to find all records of all companies in Manchester that have product x.

The user would be able to say "Query on "Town and Product"" and specify the criteria for these fields

cheers,
Danny

Since you are using this for a mail merge, you know what resulting fields you want to have in your resultset.

So you know that your SQL statement will begin

SELECT Title, First, Last, Company, Add1, Add2, City, State (hmmmm, what is the equivalent in the UK?), PostalCode
FROM tblTableName
WHERE....

and the WHERE is the problem.

If I am with you so far, my next question is, how sophisticated are your users? Can you give them a form listing every field and a text box next to each field for them to enter criteria? Will they know about AND and OR? Kathryn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back