Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access general question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2007
US
I have a database with some forms that was created by former employee and i am experiencing a problem. Whenever someone closed the database abnormally, it will create a seperate database file in the directory for ex, db1, and if 2nd person doesn't close the database by clicking on the close command button, it will create db2 and etc.. I am not sure what are all those files, but it appeared it is duplicating the database. When I open the original database, some of the data that have been entered by other users got lost. I can't track where the records went. Everything is tied to an ID (auto number field), when user# 1 said he enter this informatin with ID 10, but if i looked up the record in the database for ID 10, it actually has somebody's else's name. It is a shared database and used by a group of people to input information into the database. With this problem happping, i don't even know how to fix this or prevent this from happening again or what caused this to happen. Does anybody know anthing?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Do you have this set up with everyone having their own front end and sharing a back end on the server?

Is your database set to compact on close?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

No, they have set up where everybody can go to the shared drive and open the database. I think I do see something like compacting the datbase during closing of the database. What does compacting do??

please help.

thanks

You should have all of your shared Access applications divided into front-end and back-end MDBs.

Search Help on compacting. There is lots of good information in Help.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Duane's advice is, of course, right on the money! Having all users go to a shared drive and opening a database is a frequently sighted cause for database corruption.

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back