Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access / Foxpro Linked Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickDavies

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2002
GB
Some of our apps. use Access 97 'link' tables to Foxpro 2.6 tables. Occasionally records do not appear in the Access table, they are ok in the FP table. Reindex of the FP table makes no difference.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

To be clear, are you saying that you have an Access 97 application that links to Fox2x .DBF tables? Are updates being done by the Access application, a FoxPro (VFP?) application or both? Are you using a .CDX index, or .IDX index?

Also, are you using the standard MS FoxPro DBF linkage, and not the FoxPro or Visual FoxPro ODBC drivers?

Rick

Rick,
This is our setup.
Main app is Foxpro 2.6 with .dbf tables.
I have created an Access database with several tables (all
linked to the FP tables) - I used the available 'create linked table' option from within Access (not odbc).
I use Access queries or VB to produce reports (from the linked tables). All updating is done within Foxpro app.
A few records do not show in the Access tables but are ok
in Foxpro. I have noticed that any missing record is usually the first of a group (e.g. first item on an invoice).
Dick D

Dick,
Now that I understand the setup, I guess the only other questions I have, are:
1) Do you leave the Access MDB "up" all the time, or do you re-open it when you need it? (i.e. Is is possibly the fact that the records are just not being read because Access "thinks" it has all it needs buffered up locally?)
2) Are you running Access 97 with all the updates applied? I know that the Jet Data Engine (which is actually reading your .DBF tables) has been updated (fixed) many times since Access 97 was first released.

Rick

Rick,
Access mdb is only opened as and when required.

I will check out Access patches.
Dick.

ive run into the same problem, are any of your records in fox tagged for deletion? (blue dot)
if they are acess will not "see" them

(the fox program may tag the first record to start a new page or something)

Infinitelo,
I've only just noticed your response to my problem. I had already solved it (more by accident than design!). Deleted records was the problem and as the table concerned should have no deleted records I have scheduled a 'recall all' job to run every night.
Thanks.
Dick D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back