Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access form 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunchie13

Technical User
Nov 18, 2008
US
I am trying to make a form to allow someone to enter information about a fundraising event. The problem is that at any given fundraising event multiple people can participate, and the total amount raised will divided among the people based on a percentage that is assigned to each person. In the form that I have created right now, there is a fundraising ID, Type of fundraising, amount raised, number of participants, date, location, and fundraiserID field. I would like it to be that the person who is using this form enters in the date, location, fundraisingID, number of participants, amount raised, and number of participants in this field, and then have them hit a button that will have them enter each particpant through a dropdown, and the percentage of the amount raised that that participant will receive.

Can someone try to tell me how to do this?
Thanks.

First, should be posted in Microsoft: Access Forms

Second, read:
Fundamentals of Relational Database Design

Your table is not normalized. Access tables must be normalized.

You have to understand relationships. You have a many-to-many relationship. One fund raising event can have many participants. Oned participant can go to many events. You must build a junction table.

These would be your tables:
tblEvent
EventID Primary Key
Description
TypeID
Other event info fields

tblParticipants
PartID Primary Key
FirstName
LastName
other participant info fields

tblTypes
TypeID Primary Key
Description

The Junction table contains the primary keys of the tables you are connecting AND ANY COMMON FIELDS.

tblTransactions
TransID Primary Key
EventID Foreign Key
PartID Foreign Key
AmountContributed

TotalAmount raised is a calculated field and is NOT stored in any table.

"number of participants" is a calculated field and is not stored in any table.

You have not stated how the percentages are calculated. If they are assigned, then you would have another table:
tblPercentage
PercentID
ParticipantID
Part_Percentage

Well, the three main tables - tblEvents, tblParticipants, tblTypes - can have their own forms and be pre-loaded.
For tblTransactions, you can have TranID as an autonumber, EventID and PartID would then be comboboxes. So the user would just select EventID and PartID and only have to type in what they gave in AmountContributed.

Calculating what everyone would get would be through queries.

I don't know your Access background or abilities. But if you're new to Access, it takes a long time(months, and some after years don't get normalization) to understand how things work.

Again, post in one of the 7 Access forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back