Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access form linked to a blank recordset

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisperkins

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2004
CH
Please help,

I have 2 tables (table1 and table2), each with 2 fields (field1 and field2).
I now have a query that links both of these tables by field 1. As there is no data in either table the query brings back an empty datasheet view with no ability to enter a new record. (I am sure with Access 97 this returned a blank white record that you could enter data directly into).

This query is then linked to a form, but again as the recordset is empty you are unable to enter any data. I know that I could possible get around this by creating a 'dummy' entry, but this surely cannot be right. In future I would change the query (once it has data in it) to always be empty as records will be completed.

ANy help greatly appreciated.

A few things wrong with this:

-If you can't add a record, it's possible the query itself is 'uneditable'. Try and add records directly to the query when you open the query window itself.

-Read up on the form's properties DataEntry, AllowEdits, AllowDeletions, AllowAdditions. Also, check your form's settings for these properties.

-Read up specifically on the "DataEntry" property, as you can open a form in data entry mode, so that the users are only allowed to add new records. This will save you time re-coding what is essentially the DataEntry property.

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

chrisperkins

When editing records in a linked table situation, you can only edit on the one or the many side, but not both.

If you are trying to enter data into a form or worksheet based on a query, how will Access match the parent and child record. In this situation, if allowed, you can only enter data on the parent (one) side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back