Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access files on an IBM AS400 with MS Access 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman

MIS
Jul 9, 1999
US
How do I set up my ODBC to access files on an IBM AS400?  I currently use ShowCase Vista for this purpose. Ultimately I want one MS Access 97 database with links to  mainframe tables, AS400 tables, PC files (on my pc) , and tables on the web.  Currently I run queries and download files as text files.  Then I import them to Access97.

I use Client Access from IBM to provide the odbc connection from PC to AS400. I haven't heard of another brand of driver, but, there must be something else out there.<br>Here are the steps I take to install an AS400 linked Access database on a client pc:<br>1. Make sure Client Access and all of it's patches are installed on Client PC.<br>2. On client PC:&nbsp;&nbsp;open Control Panel-&gt;ODBC data sources.<br>3. Click &lt;add&gt; button on User DSN tab.<br>4. On next screen, find your driver that was installed by Client Access (it is called: Client Access ODBC Driver(32Bit) on our PC's) Click &lt;Finish&gt;.<br>5. On next screen (In &quot;general&quot; tab) enter the Data Source Name you will use with your linked Access tables. Make sure correct AS400 system appears in &quot;system&quot;<br>6. On &quot;system&quot; tab: enter library where you are keeping your PF's and/or LF's (Yes, LF's work too. I use these to filter records BEFORE they get into Access by using the Omit and Select values in As400 DDS) <br>7. I leave all other settings at default except on performance tab; In some cases I set the block size to 512.<br>It takes a little experimentation to figure this one.<br>8. Hit apply.<br>9. Link your tables in your Access database using the Data Source Name. (Note: I didn't have much luck sorting fields in Access queries, etc. without specifing it as a key at the time of linking. So I have several Keys in each file, one over each field I might be sorting on in the future.)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back