Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access file on remote server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobTechy

Programmer
Apr 14, 2005
US
I have a executible file that calls a database using an .INI file. The .INI file has the following script.

Code:
[Options]
SystemDb=G:\GAPPS\WHOIN\HUDSON.MDA

This G drive is a network drive. This works from a my computer which is on the same lan as the serverA that has this database file.

What the problem is that I am trying to connect to this file from a remote computer on a different lan but same wan connected thru VPN.

How should the syntax of the script look like if I want to link it this way. I have tried by IP address since I am able to ping the serverA that hold this file. here is the script with the ip address format but this way is not working.

Code:
[Options]
SystemDb=\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\GAPPS\WHOIN\HUDSON.MDA

I can however connect by mapping a network drive directly to the serverA but I dont want to map it on every computer.
Is their another way to link it without having to have the network drive appear on every computer.

and this should load the application even though it is not web based.

Serbtastic-I have done what you stated and works fine for uploading.

But I get a write delayed error when closing the application. Seems to be having problems writing back to the database.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back