Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access FE to Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quehay

Programmer
Feb 6, 2000
US
Does anyone have any success (or horror) stories relating to using Access as a Front End to Oracle? I like the RAD aspect of the Access forms and the sophistication of the license-free report tool (if you already own Access that is).

The approach would be pass-through SQL and ADO connections. I would welcome advice on the relative merits of bound and unbound form approaches (if latter, would VB be better?) The table model now in use in Access would, of course, have to be recreated by a qualified DBA, but the question is the quality of function after the initial development hit.

Thanks!

I have seen several application where Access was the front end and Oracle the back end. I don't recall "horror" story. There was surely bugs (that I can't really remember), but nothing to bad.

The only advice I could tell you would be to avoid creating your tables from Access in Oracle. This could put information in the catalog with mixed lower and upper case, and that could lead to trouble. Instead, use SQLplus or your usual tool for running script in ORacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back