Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdmoran

MIS
Nov 7, 2011
US
Hello,

I created a macro about a year that was working perfectly. I haven't used it in about 3-4 months and I am now receiving this error:

"The Microsoft Database engine cannot open or write to the file """""""". It is already opened exclusivley by another user, or you need permission to view and write its data."

I know the file isn't opened anywhere else so it must be a premission issue. I double checked the folder where the file lives and it looks like I have all permissions (open, view, edit, etc). I double checked the file path in the macro and everything was correct. Since I've used the macro last, we have upgraded to Windows 7. Would this affect anything? Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Let me know,

Thanks!

Note: Don't do this normally, but this would help you as a one off try and eliminate the move to Windows 7 as the cause:
Righ click the MS Access icon in the start menu, hold down shift, right click and choose Run As Administrator. Acknowledge the UAC warning from Windows. Then open your database and see if it works as you would expect.
If it does, the issue is concerned with the change to Windows 7 over your previous operating system.
If not, then it relates elsewhere.
It is also worth noting that if some paths were hard coded rather than using API functions to pick up the location, some of them have changed in recent versions (eg C:\Documents and Settings under WinXP is now C:\Users in Win7).

Additionally if Access security is in use, I would check that you are joined into the correct workgroup information file (Access 2003 or earlier).

John

I still cannot seem to figure this out. I tried the shift, run as admin like you said and it still didn't work.

As far as the folder path, it is hard coded. However, I did copy and paste from my new location.

Where do I check my security settings to make sure I am joined to the correct workgroup? Right click --properties--security....then what?

I did not --because i'm not sure exactly what you mean.

dbmoran said:
i'm not sure exactly what you mean ... I double checked the folder where the file lives and it looks like I have all permissions (open, view, edit, etc)... we have upgraded to Windows 7
Was this before or after you migrated.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Well everything was fine before I switched over to windows 7. So anything I mentioned in these posts was after I migrated (checking security, file locations, etc...)

I tried a bunch of files a none of them were successful. I am going to try and save the document in a different format.

I am sorry to keep bothering you all but I can't seem to figure this out.

This is my file location:

C:\Users\bdmoran\Documents\2011-2012 Season\Payroll Autmation\Payroll Test

Under Properties ---> Security for my access Database the follwing users have full access:

SYSTEM
(myself)
Adminstrators (BMORAN-NLT/ADMIN)

Are you sure you folder is "C:\Users\bdmoran\Documents\2011-2012 Season\Payroll Autmation\Payroll Test" and not "C:\Users\bdmoran\Documents\2011-2012 Season\Payroll Aut[red]o[/red]mation\Payroll Test"?

Apparently you tried "a bunch of files" but what folders did you try?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Yes I'm positive that is the right location. I also tried this H:\eBIZ\BMORAN\Payroll Test but still no luck. I was using MS Access 2000 before and since I got a new machine and windows 7 I am using Access 2010. Would this cause any problems?

What is the name of the file you are attempting to save?
Have you attempted to save the file to a folder that doesn't contain any spaces in the path name?
Have you attempted to change the macro to VBA?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I took out a space in mine and it seems to work fine now. However, it still won't work on my co-workers computer. She has Access 2000 and Windows XP. I read something online about user privileges in the 'Temp' Folder so I am going to give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back