Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access error 3197

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdancer

Technical User
Jul 21, 2004
US
I had my Access database open when we had an electrical outage. I can no longer open my database. I get the message "The Microseft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time."

This is not a shared file. I've tried recovery with no success. I upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. No good. This database is my BIBLE!!! help please!

Diana Harvey

Have you tried to remove the .LDB file when no one use the database ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Thanks for a very speedy reply! I did a search on LDB files and it listed a shortcut and a couple of my access files. I'm not an expert user yet so I'm not sure what the LDB files are. My database is on my hard drive and no one else uses my computer. (I know this error has come up before on a shared database within the District and once the other user logged off it was fine.) I also downloaded JetComp.exe, but there are many pages to read! If you can elaborate further, I'd be very grateful!!!
[gorgeous]

You may delete the .LDB file with the same name as your database. It should be very small.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Jazzdancer

Open the db with shift key held, then examine your tables for corrupt field entries.

You will probably find one with #error in it.

Move this to the bottom of the table by putting a zz in the start of a text field, then copy the record using ctrl and ' but DON'T COPY the faulty field.
Remove the zz from the new record and delete the faulty one.

You should find it works...

Good luck

Telephoto

Hi Telephoto. Thanks for your suggestion, but that didn't work either. I still received the same error saying it's being revised by another user. I'm pulling my hair out here!
[gorgeous]

Carefully check any memo fields for the #error

Also look at the MS knowledgebase for that error

Telephoto

Hi KenReay. I deleted one file that popped up when I did a search on *.ldb, but another one named 'System' can't be deleted. I get "cannot delete. there has been a sharing violation. the source or destination file may be in use."

Diana Harvey
Ventura College (CA)
H.R. Consultant

Hi

OK the ldb file in question should be in the same folder as your mdb, and should have the same name, so MyDb.MDB has locking file MyDb.LDB

The message you received implies that the ldb file (and hence the MDB) is in use.

Some times in the event of a crash the netwrk gets confused about which files are open, and incorrectly reports a file as being in use when it is not.

To overcome this, close down the server on which the mdb/ldb is and restart it

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back