Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access drops decimals when converting from Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolineJ

Technical User
Sep 25, 2001
SE
I'm trying to import an Excel sheet to Access and it's going pretty well. How ever the Excel sheet I want to import dosen't show any decimals (of course the decimals exists but they are not shown).

When I have imported the spread sheet to an Access table, the decimals are gone. I don't want to show them in the table or any querys or reports but I want the querys to include the decimals in calculations.

For example a figure like 28.389 in Excel gets rounded to 28.000 in my Access table. How can I get Access to not drop the decimals when importing from Excel? Does it matter if I increase the number of decimals shown in the Excel sheet before importing?

I ran into the same issue myself. Make sure to change the properties of the field in your table to a number. And you will also need to select Standard in the Format property for the same field. This will take care of your decimal issue.

nashman

Hi Nashman, I have done this and the decimals shows. How ever a number that was say 4.152 in Excel shows up as 4.000 in Access. The decimals have been deleted some where in the conversion process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back