Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Development vs VB6

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayBec

Programmer
Dec 5, 2001
US
I've been developing in Microsoft Access for years. I now have an opportunity to do some development work and the client doesn't want to purchase Access. Is there a big difference between VB6 and Access (on the coding side). Which VB package do I need...just VB or Visual Studio or what do ya'll recommend. Thanks.

You will probably find coding in VB takes longer. VB6 does not default to binding to the database as Access does. You can use data controls and then bind your other controls to the data controls, but it does not work as smoothly as in Access.

Personally I never use data controls, I have found them awkward and they can throw up errors that are difficult to trap and/or resolve. I tend to handle all the database work myself, i.e. retrieving the data, populating the controls, detecting dirty events, validating, prompting to save, etc. This is all work that Access does mostly automatically or through setting properties.

However, I do prefer VB6 because of the higher degree of control and most importantly the stability. Access can and does crash "just because it's Access", whereas my VB apps only crash from my bugs.

Installing just Visual Basic is sufficient, I've never used any of the other Visual Studio languages.

You might also consider doing this in .NET.

Thanks for the input. The Studio question was simply based on info from Microsoft pushing the studio versions.

VB6 is a "mostly dead" product at this point. It might not be worth you while to pursue it unless you have an investment there already.

I'd think your best bet would be Office Developer Edition, which would solve your problem without learning much new technology from scratch. Sadly I'm getting the idea this was killed somewhere between Office XP and Office 2003... probably an attempt to force people to use the VSTO/VSTO2 .Net-for-Office products.

You might try the Office or Access forums here for information on that. I can't get a clear picture of the Office Developer debacle even after numerous Google searches.

Maybe someone else here has a clearer picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back