Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBilensky

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2001
US
We are trying to run an Access database as a stand-alone exe file on computers that either do no have Access or are running an earlier version. Is Microsoft Office 2000 Developer the correct product for this? Is there an Access only option?

Hi

You cannot run an Access DB, even if it has been compiled into an .mde file, without having Access on the host machine. You can buy Access on its own, and there is a run-time only version available which can be distributed with your app- I believe this comes with the developer version but am not 100% sure, so check before you splash out.

You mention that the the machine (may) have a previous version of Access on it. Depending on the versions concerned this may help you eg if your db is written in Acc2k and the host machine has Acc97 on it, this can be made to work- post back if you need to know how, or search for previous threads on this- it has been discussed before.

HTH Nigel
Didn't someone say work is supposed to be fun? They didn't have computers then I guess....

Hello TomBilensky,
I may be wrong but you said that you are using the Access Developer software provided by MicroSoft. If this is true then you can go into the start menue >>> Programs >>> Developer program and you should see an option that says something like package wizard. Click on it and follow the steps of the wizard. The wizard will ask you questions about the database eg: location, if you want to run a setup on the client pc or a script and then where you want to save the packaged application. Once you are done you just copy the packaged database to a disk or a shared drive on a network and then goto your pc that either does not have access on it or a later version. If in the setup you choose to package the app with a setup program then you will click on the setup file in the package folder and your app will be installed as an exe. Again you do not need any type of access files on the pc you are installing the package file.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back