Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Developer usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yokleyb

MIS
Jun 14, 2001
US
We currently share common Access databases across the network using Access 97. We were forced to stay with 97 until recently due to issues with our manufacturing software. Well, now we have to upgrade office and I would rather avoid the expense of upgrading Access across the board. Since only a few of us actually do any development, can the developer tools be used to save us some money? Would it still be able to work as it does now, with the db's located on a central server?

Thanks!!

Do you have to upgrade Access at all? I prefer A2003 myself but if there's no benefit to you why not stick with A97.

Assuming you are moving to Office2003 then the developer tools are sold as:
Visual Studio Tools For Office System 2003.
Using the devloeper tools you can create an Access run-time distribution package for installation on those machines which do not have Access installed. However, you need to look in detail at the aplications involved and make sure that users can do what they have to in the run-time environment. Menu structures are quite limited and obviously there is no design caoability at all (and what YOU think are design features and what MS think are design features won't match!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back