Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Developer’s Handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavla

Programmer
Jul 10, 2000
GB
I have been developing Access databases for individuals/small groups for many years starting with Access97 up to Access 2003. My three versions (Access97, Access 2000 and Access 2002) of the SYBEX Developer’s Handbook (Litwin-Getz-Gilbert-Gunderloy) well dog-eared are always opened by my side. I would like to keep up-to-date with the latest Access 2007, but have been in vain searching for a new rewrite of the Developer’s Handbook. Is there a book of this quality to be had for Access 2007?

Or, should I be learning a new product? From what I read here it seems there may not be Access around for much longer; I develop only small office applications for which I found Access perfect with its ability to create nice user-friendly front ends, though I also cannot believe that the workgroup-based security has gone. This is one of the reasons I would like a good book to guide me around providing an alternative.

Thank you, Pavla.

Pavla said:
From what I read here it seems there may not be Access around for much longer
This is false. Access will be around for a long time. I have had the opportunity to work with the next version and it offers some really awesome functionality. Access isn't going away.

The authors of the Developers Handbook are still around but might not be updating the Handbook. Check out the Viescas/Conrad book at
Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I don't know if there is a new version of the book coming out, if so it may be taking longer because Access2007 is a much wider leap than the previous couple of upgrades.

I think Access is going to be around for a while yet, simply because of the massive code base that already exists. However, learning another product would be beneficial for both you and your clients. It will give you other options when Access is not the appropriate platform for the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back