Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Denied when taking owenership

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregBVH

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2000
US
I have been getting access denied errors on a machine trying to delete a dircetory that was made earlier this morning. I am logged onto the server as administrator, the directory is stored localy on this machine but trying to delete it give access denied... I try to take owenership to check the permission and access is also denied, can not view the permision info either. The files are not in use as it is an empty directory, and I closed all connections to the server.

Anyone Else run into anything similar? any suggestions?

I ran into something like this with some files that were dumped on a server by an ftp program which apparently set the permissions to everyone--no access. I don't know what to do about it, though.

Assuming that you are using the 'Domain Administrator' or equivalent account the only thing greater in rights would be the system. As you might know services are applications set to run at the system level. An application configured as a service could create the subdirectory and use it at will. You would not be able to delete the subdirectory while that service was still running. You need to stop this service in order to delete the directory.

Hope this helps,
Stel

I've had the same problem-- Microsoftt says that the files are 'pending deletion'and there are 2 steps that will fix it
1. restart server and they should be gone
2.run chkdsk /f

Maybe the files are still being held open by a process. Server Manager should tell you this.

It is possible that the files may be held open by a process on another server (most likely a DC).

In this situation, you would get similar messages.

If it is at all possible, schedule in a late night reboot for all the servers.

My preference is to reboot NT4 servers at least once a month. Once a week, if they are terminal servers.

I hope this information is useful

Thanks, The files that have been giving problems are not part of any service, I checked. They were dwg files on a large storage partition using raid 5. No one was accessing the files we disconnected anyone that was, In some cases a user on NT workstation created an empty folder just minutes before then it could not be deleted even directly from the Server console. Unfortuneatly restart the machine is not an option except late after hours.

The only thing I could think of that would be accessing those files would be the clustering software we are running to mirror the server. This software runs for that entire partition, however, and the access denied error seldom apears. Mirroring is near real time over a gigabit fiber channel. If I created a directory then immediatly delete it or even copy a hundred megs file there is no problem there.

I have had this problem also, it is basicly caused when Autocad crashes (since DWG, I am assuming Autocad). The only solution I could get to work is reboot the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back