Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Denied using Admin account

Status
Not open for further replies.

venom3249

Programmer
Jul 18, 2001
US
The problem started when I tried remotely controlling the Win2003 server from my local computer. It said that the local policy on this server does not allow interactive logon.

So I went to the server directly and logon. I get an access denied when I tried to go group policy or local security setting. Going to a few other things also resulted in an Access Denied error.

Does any1 have any ideas on how to fix this or what could be wrong? Thanks a million.

Ven

so if Admin account don't work what are you using to login ????

go into Control panel ---> admin tools ---> local security policy (now if this is a domain controller) you have to go to "Domain controller security policy" instead which you already done,

you may want to check to see if the admin right is granted for you on that server from other people

XM

I can login using the admin account but alot of the things that an admin should be able to access comes back access denied.

Its not a DC but I cant access the local security policy either. That comes back access denied too. Is it possible for an admin to lock himself out?

now since this is not a DC, we should be able to set things locally, are you in entriprise administrator group?

i am thinking you dont have the superadmin account on that server

Yes, I'm part of the enterprise admin group.

I tried reseting the local admin password and it came back access denied also. Weird

so are you able to get into the security policy in other member server ? how about other DC s ?

check to see if you have some strange GPO running around somewhere though, that will be the hardest part of troubleshooting

Yes, all the other servers are fine. Its just local to this one particular server. How do I check for the strange GPO running?

to check what GPOs are applied...

drop to command prompt

type in "gpresult" hit enter

that will help you follow what GPOs are applied via USER and COMPUTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back