Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Denied To Shared Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLawson

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2002
US
I've got an NT4 PDC and a web server running W2K. I've shared a folder on the W2K machine and set up permissions to allow my username (DOMAIN/User) full control.

The W2K machine is a member of DOMAIN. When I added the permissions, it allowed me to select from the list of users stored on the PDC in DOMAIN.

I log on to the domain from the machine in my office and can see the shared folder I have created on the W2K machine. However, when I try to access it, I get:

\\SERVERNAME\sharedfolder is not accessible.

Access is denied.

I'm logged onto the domain through the PDC correctly. Why isn't the W2K machine letting me access the shared folder?

Which permissions did you setup, file or folder permissions (If you right click on the folder and set the permissions you should get one tab for share permissions and another for file permissions)?

Also, when you are logging in and setting the permissions, are you logging in as an administrator or as an user. You may need to go to the machine and make sure that the Local User group has Domain Users as member.
Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

I set both permissions. I'm logged in to the server as administrator. Domain Users is in the Local User group.

It's probably something obvious and simple (it always is). I just can't figure it out.

you can set up two permisions security and sharing

if you have in security only adminstrators the folder id denny for others user

As usual, it was something obvious.

The share permissions had an entry for my "regular" account with full control access. It also had an entry for "Everyone" which explicitly denied all access. The entry for "Everyone" was overriding my account.

Duh.

Thanks for everyone's help.

It also had an entry for "Everyone" which explicitly denied all access. Learned along time ago NEVER set deny settings. Don't give permissions, or take and lock out accounts like for the default guest account, but don't deny. Give you grief everytime. Glad you figured it out.

[pipe] Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back