Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Denied please help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAlaskan

Technical User
Oct 25, 2003
US
I am running windows xp, if I move a file or folder I can no longer open it. I get an error message stating "access denied".
I can copy and paste to a new location without any problem.
If I look at the proberties of the problem folder, it shows there are no files in it, however, the space is still allotted in the original location eventhough there is no longer a visible folder there. I tried moving the folder back to the original location, but again get access denied message. This seems to happen on any file or folder that is dragged to another location.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What are the permissions set for in the destination folder where your copy and paste folder/file end up? Check that you have sufficient permissions to access both holding folder and copied folder/file. It sounds like your username or group has insufficient permission to the destination folder and your copied folder/file is inheriting these after placement.

Are you pasting to another users Encrypted folder?

If you haven't at least write permission to the destination folder it is hard to imagine how you actually placed the copied folder there in the first place. So it really may just be a zero-byte file or folder you are seeing due to the failed copy attempt.

Once you have correct permissions the folder properties (size and files) will be visible to you.

If there is no problem with your permissions you may have run into a XP bug, but it is too early to draw that conclusion.

After a failed copy and paste, if you reboot, what is the state of play in both locations? What files are where?

These articles may help you too.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

Drag and drop problem
thread779-723934

linney,
I don't know how to check permissions. I created both folders and have had no problem adding new files to either folder. So I assume I have full rights to all the folders.
The problem folder was about 3gb, I know the contents of the folder was never moved, only the folder itself. The files are still on my hard drive because the the space never showed up as empty.
I have had this problem previously, but it involved single files or shortcuts that I moved to my desktop. On the shortcuts, the icons disappeared and they don't do anything. When I try to move back or delete I get the following error message: "Error Copying file or folder, can not create or replace "_______": Access is Denied
Make sure the disk isn't full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use"
I never been able to resolve those problems, I am stuck dead icons on my desktop.

Thanks for any assistacne you might be able to offer

What file system are you using? If you have files over 3GB you are getting close to the limit if you are using FAT32 instead of NTFS.

Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP

Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP

Setting permissions (See Help and Support).

Also, did you have a look at "Drag and drop problem"
Thread779-723934

Do you have any restrictions placed on "Drag and Drop" in either IE settings or on the Start Menu?
Have you tried running the System File Checker program from the Start Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Remove unused desktop icons (See Help and Support).

Try deleting them in Safe Mode or use this free program.

DelLater.

Also, make sure that you have backed up any valuable data on your computer.

If these are mpg or avi or other media files, please see an earlier discussion: thread779-733239

Linney,

Thanks again for your help. I have managed to solve part of my problem. My file system is NTFS.
I looked at the thread regarding drag and drop and it is not the same problem I am experiencing.
Apparently in XP home ed. you have to go into safe mode and log in as admin. to access the security tab and play with permissions.
I got back the main folder and some subfolders with their files intact, but I am still getting access denied on other subfolders (even as admin.)
I would really like to know what causes this. All of your suggestion have been very helpful. Thanks!

Try this
Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
On the View tab, under Advanced settings, clear Use simple file sharing [Recommended].
Now right click on the folder in question and select the security tab.
Select admin and uncheck any of the deny boxes for the folder inquestion.
Hopefully you should now be able to do what you wish with the folder.
Hope this helps.

Make sure if any sub folders are inheriting their permissions from the parent folder that the parent folders permission are correct. See the Advanced button on the Security Permissions window. Or start with the permissions for C drive and have the child folders inherit their permission all the way down the line.

Here's a little tip for Home edition.

Cool Tip #2: Security Tab in Windows XP Home
thread779-685055

Home doesn't have any "Use simple file sharing [Recommended]" box it all done via Safe Mode, unless you follow Bcastner's Cool Tip #2 links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back