Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access denied on mapped drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richardkl

Technical User
Dec 8, 2001
US
I need to allow access from a XP home computer to a server, and only the server as the folder contains backup files. I changed the permissions using the START > RUN > type SHRPUBW wizzard. I can map the drive to the server but am denied access to the data unless I add the everybody share back the the permissions. I use the "use different login name" at the mapping window, but I just can't seen to get access. What am I missing, other than a copy of XP Pro. The user and password are the same that is used to logon to the computer.

Does the Home user need any more than Read access, does it need write access too? The Everyone Group may be all you can use as XP Home cannot easily join a Domain.

These type of threads discuss the problem of joining Home to a Domain, or other sharing workarounds which may apply to your situation.

XP Home and Domains
thread779-274187

Joining XP home to NT domain
thread779-561278

Xteq X-Setup

I don't need the XP home computer to logon to anything. I am trying to share the XP homes folder only to a server as the server will be backing up data at night to the XP home computer. It is a workgroup server not a domain controller.

What OS is the 'server'? You will need to set the appropriate file permissions on the shared server folder. To do so, will probably require that you create a local user on the server with the same username & password. The problem that you are having really has nothing to do with the client - the permissions of the share are controlled by the server.

After re-reading, I think that I read that backwards - is the 'server' backing up to the xp home machine? If this is the case, the cirumstances change. With simple file sharing enabled (xp home's standard behavior), remote users (the real server in this case) will authenticate as members of the guest group - no username or password will change that. Therefore, in order to allow remote users to save to the xp home machine, the everybody group will be the required permission.

smah,
I think you might have something here, XP home is using "simple file sharing". I didn't know that "simple file sharing" bypassed all authentication (username/password) in the mapping a drive process. Maybe that is why my 2000 server computer can map the drive XP HOME folder but not access the data unless I have and everybody share in the security section. I boot in safe mode to change the security levels. One interesting point though is that I can restrict other local users on the computer from accessing the folder by removing the everybody permission and only setting one user in the permissions. All other local users are blocked from that folder. So why, with the server logged on with the same user name and password as the local user (remember this is only set up as a workgroup not a domain) the server computer can't access the folder. The drive mapped by the other computer (that happens to be running server software) can see the drive but access is denied? Also does “Simple file sharing” really bypass all authentication? If it does than why can I block all other local users? I have looked at Microsoft knowledge base and can't find anything that is definitive on “simple file sharing” authentication process. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

You're seeing two seperate functions, which happen to overlap in one direction.

For XP Pro (and win2k), The restrictions (or allowances) that you see and change for local users are the NTFS filesystem's Access Control List permissions. These only apply to local user accounts and the NTFS ACL overrides any network permissions that might be set. So for example, let's say that user A is locally allowed access to folder 123, but not folder 456. Then you give user A access to the entire hard drive from the network (as a shared folder), user A will still not be able to use folder 456 within that hard drive. These Access Control Lists are also seen in XP Home when logged on as Adminstrator in Safe Mode.

When sharing a folder with Simple File Sharing, the local sharing ACL is set to allow the 'everybody' group. In this context, the 'everybody' group includes everyone that has a local user account on that machine. However, from the network all remote users are authenticated as members of the 'guest' group, regardless of any local user accounts.

[small](I've re-read this a couple of times before posting & I'm not sure if I've cleared it up, or made it more confusing)[/small]

There is a new user interface (UI) named Simple File Sharing and a new Shared Documents feature. This article describes the new file sharing UI and discusses the following topics"

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

So for example, let's say that user A is locally allowed access to folder 123, but not folder 456. Then you give user A access to the entire hard drive from the network (as a shared folder), user A will still not be able to use folder 456 within that hard drive. "

If I understand you correctly, I can assign user Local "user B" access to folder 456 and only USER B. Than when I map a shared folder and sign on at the other computer as user B I and only I on the network should be able to access the shared folder.

That is what I want, And when I do that from a computer that is running 2000 server OS I get access denied!

What I do to share the folder remove the everybody permission and place the "USER B" as the only access, maybe I should put in the guest permissions?

The problem is that when the 2000 server connects remotely to an xp home system, it is not authenticating as "user B" the way that you'd like- it is being allowed as a member of the guest group (note: this is not the local guest user account).

The short summary is unfortunately, that you can not limit remote access the way that you're trying to with XP Home.

smah wrote;

"The short summary is unfortunately, that you can not limit remote access the way that you're trying to with XP Home."

Is there away to limit the network access to XP home shared folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back