Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access denied on all folders for administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcustherock

Technical User
May 14, 2012
ZA
i have been struggling for a few days with this, hope there is someone who has managed to figure this out yet.

i set permission for ALL USERS to deny on both C: (operating system) and D:

now i am unable to change it back. if i try, it says access denied.

have tried right click advanced settings owner, edit ...access denied

have enabled Administrator account.... access denied

unable to take ownership...access denied

cannot cacls...access denied

even gone as far as disabling UAC via regedit but does nothing

Yes yes, i was dumb. but is there a bright spark that can assist?

Yeah, sorry, that's funny.

Here are some ideas:
[ol 1]
[li]System Restore to a time before you made the change - if it'll let you in Windows.. if not, try booting from Windows install or repair disk.[/li]
[li]Try F8 options - see if you can run a quick repair[/li]
[li]There are probably other bootable tools that will allow you to make such change as you need outside Windows. I know you can use commands in dos. So you could boot into DOS from advanced restart options under F8.[/li]
[li]If you can simply get an administrative cmd window to run, you could try the method(s) mentioned at the below link by Călin Darie[/li]
[/ol]
"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Or boot from a Windows 7, 8 or 10 CD or USB and then you can change the permissions using ICACLS via command prompt as stated.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back