Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access DB Update slow for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarzan

Programmer
Apr 22, 2003
US
I have a vbscript that I had been running daily and it has been fine. After not having run it for a few weeks, when I tried yesterday it appeared to just hang. After troubleshooting I found that actually it wasn't hung, but one line of code (a single UPDATE to an Access 365 database) was taking an exceedingly long time. I isolated that code below, executing that sql statement takes approx 40 seconds (which is a problem since it iterates through a loop 2000 times):

Code:
Option Explicit
Const sRoot = "U:\TaxReports\VB\"
Dim ConnMDB
Set ConnMDB = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
ConnMDB.Open "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=" & sRoot & "\AccessReports.mdb;"

Dim rs, sql
Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

sql = "UPDATE AllProjects SET EfileFederal = '" & data & "' WHERE [Project Name] = '2020 Return' [highlight #FCE94F]AND [Client ID] & '.' & [Sub ID] = '000002.00'[/highlight]"

ConnMDB.Execute sql

However, when I change the AND statement to below, the UPDATE executes immediately!

Code:
sql = "UPDATE AllProjects SET EfileFederal = '" & data & "' WHERE [Project Name] = '2020 Return' [highlight #FCE94F]AND [Client ID] = '000002' AND [Sub ID] = '00'[/highlight]"

The script runs in a Citrix environment that I don't have full control over, but I can't think what could have changed to make this code start moving at a snails pace, and why not appending two fields in my AND statement would make the problem go away. If I have to change my code to extract the Client ID and Sub ID bits and use the second sql everywhere, so be it, but I don't get what would cause this.

I appreciate any ideas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back