Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access DB Distribution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DummyForAccess

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
US
And now for the BIG Question. I'm getting ready to distribute a database, what's the best way to begin to explore this? I was going to do something where you can make an ".mde" file, but that won't work (I get a nasty error, and I think my database is too big).. what other suggestions does anyone have for putting the database out there for users to query against, but having one particular table that users can update or append to?

If you can't create an mde then you have coding errors which are not resolved. Size is irrelevant. Compile your application and sort the errors out.

Do the users have Access installed?
Which version of Access are you using?

(The question is in the wrong forum, by the way).

Also, using a a Project, you can't make an MDE because it compiles to an ADE....

Check your reference libraries also.

Randall Vollen
National City Bank Corp.

I'm using Access 2002, thought it was XP, but according to Help/About, it's 2002. (or are 2002/XP same thing maybe..) I'm not sure what you mean by "compile"... I'm pretty much a front-end user of Access, only pop into a macro's code once in a while to make changes, but everything seems to work fine???

There are two main possibilities why youcan't create an mde.

1. You are using A2002 but are using the default file format which is A2000 (It tells you which in the title bar of the database window, if it's not a2002).You can only create an mde file if the mdb file is in A2002 format.

And/Or 2. There are coding errors. But this seems unlikely if you have only used the wizards.

But this is all trivia until we know...

Do the users have Access installed?

Oh, forgot you asked that, yes the users do have Access installed.

I did have to convert the db over to 2002, I got that message earlier on.

Then if you still can't create an mde file you must have coding issues.

Open any module in design view (or create one if you don't have one), go to Debug menu and select compile.....
If there are any errors you will be taken to the first one and it will be highlighted in yellow.

Fix this one and compile again...repeat until there are no errors reported. Ifyou find problems that you don't know how to resoove then post the code concerned here and someone will help. Please indicate which line the error message pointed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back