Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access DB changes back to defalt workgroup file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucybelle

MIS
Apr 9, 2001
US
I converted several Access 97 db to Access 2003. I joined the same workgroup that the 97 dbs were joined to, located on the network. When I close a db and open it again, I don't get the login; it creates another workgroup, named System1.mdw. How do I get the databases to stay joined to my secured workgroup file.

lucybelle,

You did that from Tools-->Security-->Workgroup Administrator wizzard? Or just using a shortcut including the wrkgrp command line start up option?

I did it from Tools, Security, Workgroup Administrator. I've also tried it using a shortcut including the wrkgrp command line. I'm logged in the local workstation as administrator and at the same time opening Access and logging in as other people to test the permissions. Would this be contributing to the problem I'm having? I thought I would go ahead and create some users and try that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for responding.

Does your database open without the logging info? If it does, you should set up security from the beggining!

It does open without the login, even after I join it to the workgroup file located on the network. It seems to be only doing it with me as Administrator. I have 2 users using 3 of the databases and it is working fine with them. When they open Access, they are getting their login as they should.

I even created a new workgroup file and it does the same thing.

Strange behavior. I can't think of anything other than to rebuild from scratch the security.

I didn't delete the Admin user in the workgroup file and I've been logging in Access as Admin and also logging in the local workstation as Administrator. While I was logged in the local workstation as Administrator, I was opening Access using different user names. When I did the following, it seems to be working fine.

I created myself as a user with administrator rights for the local workstation login and created other users as powerusers on the same PC. I also created myself as a user in Access and added me to the Admins group. Everytime I wanted to open Access as one of the users, I logged out of the workstation and logged in as that user and opened Access and the Access login came up and was joined to the correct workgroup file. This worked for me all day yesterday. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back